Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What A Day

The day began as I received a text message from a friend of mine who wakes up at 4:30 a.m. every day. I know….what is he thinking? Anyway the text said, “Nick Montana committed to us!” This coming only hours after the Mariners made my wish come true by drafting the best hitter in the draft in Dustin Ackley.

What a start.

As the day went on and I ran some stairs (they were really long and steep), nearly passing out in the process, I read some more good news. Brandon Morrow is going to be a starter again. What? This is awesome. And then I read that Yuniesky Betancourt is on his last legs as a Mariner. Even better!

What a glorious sports day in Seattle.

So which one is the best news of all four?

In terms of surprise, I vote Morrow, Montana, Ackley, then Betancourt. I mean Morrow said in March that he would never be a starter again. He related it to having diabetes, arm issues, and being a general disappointment to all Lincecum fans across the nation. So moving back to being a starter (which everyone in Seattle wants) was a shocker. Montana took an unofficial visit this past weekend – where it was high 70s and sunny, ha ha fooled you – and the Huskies just lost out on local QB sensation Jake Heaps of Skyline High School only five days ago. On that date, multiple recruiting experts said Montana was still a long shot. Ackley was somewhat expected and Betancourt has been sucking for awhile.

In terms of awesomeness, I vote Ackley, Montana, Morrow, then Betancourt. Read my previous blog entry for why Ackley is the man. Nick Montana is Joe Montana’s son, plus he had offers from schools like Cal, Alabama, and Notre Dame. If Morrow can make the transition then he might have saved the future rotation. Betancourt, I still hate you.

What do you think? Which one is most surprising? Most awesome?

No comments: