Wednesday, June 6, 2007

MLB.com...Here I Come! Eat it!

Jonathan Mayo covers the Major League Baseball draft for Major League Baseball and their website. He undoubtedly has more sources than I do throughout the league (as I have none) and may know more about the players in the draft. Ok, he definitely knows more about the players in the draft. But I took issue when I read this projection.

11. Seattle Mariners: Casey Weathers, RHP, VanderbiltIt's been generally believed, almost from the get-go, that the Mariners would be looking for an arm at No. 11. A lot of scouts like the arm of Vanderbilt closer Casey Weathers. A senior, he'd certainly be an easy sign. Too high in the draft for a reliever to go? Perhaps, but with the M's playing decent ball, the idea of drafting someone who could help the big club out in a hurry might be enticing. Weathers is the best of the college closer lot right now and could join Brandon Morrow in Seattle's bullpen very quickly.

No, no, no Jonny Boy! So I wrote him this email:

Mr. Mayo,
You project the Mariners to draft Casey Weathers at #11 due to the fact that he could help in the bullpen right now and they are playing decent ball. An interesting premise, but wrong in my opinion. As a lifelong Mariners fan, I watch them nearly every day. The bullpen doesn't need help.

Closer - JJ Putz 1.42 ERA
RH Set up – Brandon Morrow 1.74 ERA
LH Set up – George Sherrill 1.50 ERA
6th/7th – LH Eric O'Flaherty 3.12 ERA
6th/7th – RH Sean Green 3.29 ERA

Not to mention Chris Reitsma takes over that spot for Green now that he is off the DL and Mark Lowe, a successful hard throwing young set up guy from a year ago looks to be on track to come off the DL around the All-Star break.

So where does Weathers fit in? He may end up being helpful down the road, but with the exception of Reitsma, none of these guys are too old.

I am sure you have sources and inside information, but the premise that he could help right away does not make sense to me.

They are better off drafting a potential starter as they have little to no projected major league talent in the minors (maybe with the exception of Ryan Feirabend, Chris Tillman, Tony Butler, and Justin Thomas).

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Brian Elsner


His response:

Fair enough, perhaps the premise is not correct, and nothing is guaranteed. The only thing I can tell you is that they’ve been on Weathers for a while…

So basically he admits that I dominate. But he also admits that his "sources" have the Mariners taking Weathers which makes me want to stab myself with a rusty screwdriver and then pour lemon juice on the wound.

No comments: