Friday, June 1, 2007

Where Were You?

Michael Jordan played a total of seven games in his first two playoff appearances. The greatest of all-time averaged 35.4 points, 6.0 rebounds, 7.3 assists, 2.6 steals, and 1.1 blocks per game. He shot 47.4% from the field, 22.2% from three, and 84.5% from the free throw line.

LeBron James thus far has played 28 games in his first two playoff appearances with averages of 28.3 points, 8.0 rebounds, 7.1 assists, 1.6 steals, and 0.5 blocks. He shoots 45.8% from the field, 32.2% from three, and 75.6% from the line.

Despite LeBron's success in winning a few series' in the playoffs, not many put King James into Michael's category. Yet. Until last night.

Last night changed everything.


Last night was a friend calling and the first words were, "LeBron is ridiculous". Last night was getting a text message from Ravi about LeBron's game. Last night was the game where you tell your girlfriend about it and she actually gets excited, even saying, "I guess he is taking his throne". Yes I know my girlfriend is awesome.

Bill Simmons on ESPN.com wrote this before last night's game:

Like many others, I'm looking forward to Game 5 solely because of LeBron. Like many others, I want him to shift into fifth gear, hush the crowd, rip Detroit's heart out and make the Vivid Video face after everything's said and done. Like many others, I will be disappointed if this doesn't happen.

Simmons and all of us got our wish. 25 straight points to finish the game and 29 out of the last 30. He was so unstoppable that the Pistons seemed dumbfounded. In fact, their fans looked bewildered after the game. They just sat there in the arena staring out into nothing. It became a game that you had to see. No one cared about Kobe anymore. Billy Donovan became irrelevant. Oden and Durant would have to wait. It was all about LeBron. Simmons and others said it best when they simply stated that you would remember where you were when LeBron dropped 48 on the Pistons.

And you know where I was?

At my step-grandmother's retirement party.

Yep.

Seriously.

And she is great, certainly deserving of a great party. But LeBron's game will haunt me forever. Whenever someone brings it up, I will say, "oh yeah, I saw the highlights since I was at my step-grandmother's retirement party".

At least the shrimp balls were good.
Note: After I wrote this, the tutor in our program at school Melissa walked in and said, "Did you see that game last night?"
I walked away, head down, dejected and said, "no, I had to go to my step-grandma's retirement party".
And so it begins.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed it too man, and I didn't get any shrimp balls.

Anonymous said...

I definitely, absolutely could have watched it, but chose not to. The spelling bee was way better.

B. Els said...

Baxter, you know I don't speak Spanish

Anonymous said...

It was just a great time to be watching TV.

- LeBron.....spectacular (Varejao did well too).

- Spelling Bee was on (with ESPN-style sport coverage - Mike and Mike Hosting, former spelling bee finalist Paul Loeffter running color and Stuart Scott as the sideline reporter. The atmosphere was electric. And there were some classic rookie mistakes (who spells Zacate with an 'o'?)

- 30 Rock cut the commercials of both.

I don't know what you call it, but I call it the Golden Age.