Thursday, May 21, 2009

Why Would I Return?

Or maybe more appropriately….why would you care?

I can answer the former, but probably not the latter. I am not sure why you would care and by you I mean the four of you who read this.

My return to writing about sports involves a variety of reasons. First, it is extremely therapeutic for me. It allows me to get out all the frustrations that boil inside of me on a daily basis involving my favorite sports teams. Second, I often times wish I could write about sports, but not really in the formatted newspaper format. I like breaking down stats more and injecting my opinion. Thricely (is that a word?), Seattle sports have finally, at last, after a year of disappointment….given me hope again.

It has been documented in many places how horrible the Seattle sports scene was last year but….

Washington Huskies football 0-12
Seattle Seahawks 4-12
Seattle Mariners 61-101
Washington Huskies basketball 16-17
Seattle Sonics 0-infinity

No postseason.

No glory.

No joy.

No NBA team in town anymore.

What an absolutely horrific year.

Then the joy started to return.

It began with the Husky basketball team achieving new found heights with a Pac-10 championship. Then the Mariners made some very smart personnel decisions with Don Wakamatsu as manager and Jack Zduriencik as General Manager. They quickly changed the direction of the Seattle Mariners. It isn’t likely that the team will be very good any time soon, but they are headed in the right direction for the first time in awhile.

The Husky football team got a new leader from the conference’s best in Steve Sarkisian. He already has nine commits for next year’s class, including 4 out of the top 5 from the state of Washington. And the Hawks signed WR TJ Housmanzadeh, DT Colin Cole, CB Ken Lucas, traded for DE Cory Redding, resigned LeRoy Hill and drafted a stud in Aaron Curry. Hope!

Of course with the Oklahoma City Thunder potentially drafted Spanish stud Ricky Rubio, they could be building a fantastic nucleus with Jeff Green, Russell Westbrook, and Kevin Durant but Clay Bennett decided he would rather stab me in the eye with his rich stubby fingers.

I guess not everything is well, but it is a start.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

About time you bring it back. Me, Ravi, and Dave are readers. Who's the 4th?