Thursday, April 26, 2007

Stupid Sund

It is hard to want to write anything about the Sonics considering they are most likely moving to Oklahoma City after next season. It’s like getting into a relationship with a moderately attractive girl for a year. She has days where she looks pretty good like when she wears her hair up (Ray Allen going off). Some days she looks ok (Wilcox dunks, Lewis hits 3’s, Ridnour hits mid range jumpers) and some days she looks disgusting (51 losses). Why even bother?

So next year maybe I should consider the younger, better looking girl down the road (Portland) who I went out with once in high school (Martell, BRoy, Nate McMillan).

Ok enough with the analogy. Of course I am preparing myself for the departure of the Sonics. But I will not abandon them until they actually leave. So that leaves me with some thoughts on the future of this team. They need a new coach and a new GM.

I don’t know much about the GM candidates but I like Times writer Jerry Brewer’s idea of throwing a lot of money at Jerry West. The logo turned the Grizzlies into a playoff team, although they are horrible this season. Still the Sonics would be better off with him. If not West, then take someone from a good team’s front office like the Spurs, Mavericks, Suns, or Pistons.

In terms of the coach, I believe you have to go get Suns assistant Marc Iavaroni. I don’t know much about his philosophy, but hopefully he wants to play fast like Mike D’Antoni. Iavaroni learned much about coaching from legend Pete Newell and worked on player development under Pat Riley before joining the Suns. I think he is the perfect fit for Seattle.

I don’t understand why the Sonics would ever slow the ball down. They don’t have the personnel to do it, especially when you start Nick Collison at center. Now Luke Ridnour is no Steve Nash, but his game has similarities. He is best when the team runs and he can distribute. And Chris Wilcox and Collison are at an advantage when they can beat bigger guys down the floor. Have you seen Wilcox in the post? He needs to run and dunk, not shoot jump hooks. Trust me.

The Sonics do not have defenders and if they plan on re-signing Lewis then it will continue. Lewis, Allen, and Wilcox will not be sitting on the bench and none of them defend very well. So why fight it? Run, run, and run. That feeds into Ridnour’s strength so now he becomes more effective. Collison now doesn’t have to fight with bigger guys at center all the time and you become more attractive to potential free agents.

So hire Marc Iavaroni. Maybe I should be the GM. I know one thing is for sure – I wouldn’t draft seven footers three years in a row. But who would really? Oh yes, Rick Sund.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you wouldn't draft Oden huh?

Here's what should happen.

Darius Miles
Baby Face Randolph
Joel Pryzabilla
Nate McMillan
#1 Pick in 2007 NBA Draft

for

Rashard Lewis
Danny Fortson
Johan Petro
#1 Pick in 2007 NBA Draft

I don't know if the salaries work (cause I can't access the NBA Trade Machine on ESPN.com at work), but I like it.

Seattle gets the coach they love and some players that need a new start. Can't go wrong with Ray Allen, Darius Miles and Baby Face Randolph on the floor at the same time.