Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Thank You Mr. Halberstam

I had mixed emotions yesterday when I heard the news that author David Halberstam died in a car crash.

For those who don't know him, he wrote the best baseball book I ever read titled "Summer of '49" about the classic rivalry between the Red Sox and Yankees. He also wrote "Playing for Keeps" about Michael Jordan and "The Children" about the Civil Rights movement. A Pulitzer Prize winner, Halberstam lived in New York and Massachusetts.



I never met Mr. Halberstam, but that book "Summer of '49" meant a lot to me. My grandfather Henry, my mother's dad, lent that book to me to read when I was in the 6th grade. I don't remember ever being lent another book by anyone in my life. I loved that book. I enjoyed every word of it.

Baseball has always been my first love despite my current job as a basketball coach. I love this history, tradition, and the mental challenge each at bat, each pitch presents to the players. Sometimes I can't even explain what I love about baseball. I just do. And I really loved that my grandfather and I shared this fondness for the game.


Henry passed away the next year and aside from little remarks or small things, the number one thing I remember is that book. I read about Joe Dimaggio and Ted Williams and it brought me closer to my grandfather.

I know that no one in the Halberstam family will ever read this, but it doesn't matter to me. Thank you David Halberstam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only part way through but not sure I agree with Rivers being the pick in 2004. I still don't think very highly of him. Give me Fitz or Sean Taylor (even with the off-field stuff) over Rivers or Manning. I may even take Reggie Williams.....wait, no I wouldn't.